Director of the Institute of Geophysics named after S.I. Subbotin NAS Ukraine
Academician of NASU, Doctor of Physical-Mathematical Sciences, Professor
- V.I. Starostenko was born on the 13th of April 1935 in Kiev to a family of employees;
- 1958 - graduated from Kiev State University named after T.G. Shevchenko by speciality «geophysical methods of the search and exploration of mineral deposits»;
- 1958 - 1961 - engineer of Kiev geophysical expedition of the trust "Ukrgeophysrazvedka";
- 1961 - 1964 - postgraduate of the Institute of Geophysics Ac. Sci. Ukr. SSR, Scientific Supervisor Doctor Geol.- Min. Sci. I.A. Balabushevich;
- 1964 - Subordinate Research Worker;
- 1966 - Candidate of Technical Sciences. Theses "Determination of gravity potential and its derivatives by the measured elements of gravity field having regard to the use of electron calculating mashines" was defended at Dnepropetrovsky Mining Institute named after Artem;
- 1968 - Supervising Research Worker of the Department of Theory, Interpretation and Generalization of Geophysical Data;
- 1968 - Supervising Research Worker of the Department of Deep-Seated Processes of the Earth and gravimetry of the Institute of Geophysics Ac. Sci. Ukr. SSR;
- 1971 - was given a scientific title «Supervising Research Worker»;
- 1975 - Deputy Director of the Institute of Geophysics Ac. Sci. Ukr. SSR on science;
- 1976 - Chief of the Department of Deep-Seated Processes of the Earth and gravimetry;
- 1977 - Doctor of Physical- Mathematical Sciences. Doctor Theses "Problems of theory and procedures of interpretation of gravimetric observations by stabile numerical methods" were defended at Moskow State University;
- 1978 - 1988 - Deputy Academician-Secretary of the Division of the Earth Sciences of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine;
- 1984 - was given a scientific title "Professor";
- 1985 - elected Corresponding Member of Ac. Sci. Ukr. SSR;
- 1988 - Academician-Secretary of the Division of the Earth Sciences of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and the Member of Presidium of Ac. Sci. of Ukraine;
- 1990 - Academician of Ac. Sci. of Ukraine;
- 1991 - up to present - Director of the Institute of Geophysics named after S.I. Subbotin NAS Ukraine.
The main line of the scientific activity is related to the theory of interpretation of potential fields; the problem of creation of automated systems of processing and interpretation on Electron Calculating Mashines (ECM) of gravimetric and electrometric data; theory and methods of solution of incorrectly set problems of geophysics; problem of plotting density models of the Crust and the Upper Mantle of the Earth.
The author of more then five hundred works, among them five monographs. In addition to Ukraine and Russia the works were published in England, India, Italy, China, Poland, USA, France, the Netherlands, Czekoslovakia, Sweeden and Switzerland.
Trained 27 Candidates of Sciences, among them 19 due to Postgraduateship of the Institute of Geophysics NAS Ukraine. Editor-in-Chief of the "Geophysicheskiy Zhurnal".
V.I. Starostenko is a Prize Winner of the State Prize of the Ukrainian SSR in the field of science and technique in 1984 (with a team of Research Workers of IGP) for a series of works "Theory, methods and results of studies of the lithosphere of Ukraine and adjacent territories by complex of data of seismometry, gravimetry and geothermy", comprising more than 30 monographs; of the State Prize of Ukraine in the field of science and technique in 1995 (with a team of Research Workers of IGP) for eight volume monograph "Lithosphere of Central and Eastern Europe".
In 1973 he was awarded a Gold Medal of Exhibition of Achievements in National Economy of the USSR (in a team of the Staff Members of the Ministry of Geology of the Ukrainian SSR) for automated system of processing and interpretation of gravity and magnetic data.
He was awarded an Order "Symbol of Honour" in 1981, Honourable Diploma of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Ukrainian SSR in 1985.
Since 1997 he has been Honoured Science Worker of Ukraine in the field of science and technique.